We are still waiting to hear the results for all of Southwind camp, but we do know the outcomes for the youth Miami YFC brought.
A quick catch-up for anyone new to YFC camp – each year, youth are given the opportunity to consider their relationship with Jesus and whether they want to commit to Jesus (say yes) or not (say no). Kids can “say yes,” “say yes again,” or “say no.” All answers are respected and valuable because we believe every kid’s story is still being written!
Miami brought 15 youth and 4 adult leaders. All the adult leaders were NEW cabin leaders at YFC Camp, and they did a stellar job making sure they met with each youth one-on-one and in small group time. This was in addition to running around making messes and creating memories together.
Of the 15 kids we brought to camp, 3 said yes to a relationship with Jesus for the first time! Ten recommitted their lives (said yes again) to Jesus, and 2 said no to a relationship with God for now.
Other major breakthroughs included…
- a young man sharing, for the first time ever, about his family’s struggles with domestic violence. Fortunately, he is safe now, but he had been keeping it a secret. He cried with his cabin and shared, “I’ve never told anyone about this before.”
- one of our youth has struggled with self-harm. A senior leader asked her for help as he has a young girl with the same issue. Our Miami girl felt so empowered and valued by being asked for input; she even wrote a letter to the young girl to encourage her and let her know she wasn’t alone.
- a young lady came who is still learning English. She was able to open up with another leader about struggles at home and also said yes to a relationship with Jesus!
- one boy was antagonistic about God all week. On the final day, during a public time when youth could share how God showed up, he chose to stand up and say that he had encountered God that week.
- two leaders provided translation for a young man who doesn’t speak English at all. He also trusted Christ at the end of the week!
Camp is only possible with hundreds of donors, volunteers, and prayer supporters. Thank YOU for making this life-changing week possible.